This year our school focus was on increasing student engagement and improving students' literacy and numeracy skills. 40% of our students were asked these 3 questions:
- Why are you learning math?
- How do you learn math the best?
- How do you feel about math?
The scanning process was done via conversations with students. 80 % of our students said that they know that:
- -math is important,
- - you can get a good job if you are good at math
- - you can make a lot of money and have a good life.
70% of our students said that they are good at math, but were not able to say why they are good at it.
30% of our students said that they are not good at math because they don't like numbers, cannot remember numbers, their parents are not good at math.
In order to foster a growth mindset in students our staff engaged in:
- Book study: "Mathematical Mindsets" by Joe Boaler
- "Number Talks" by Sherri Parrish and
- "Mind Up"- engaging mathematical approach to designing math lessons and innovative teaching
Our year-end results show that numeracy results improved for all students.